Thursday, June 21, 2012

R.I.P. Alarm Clock


It’s almost tragic sometimes when a certain possession stops working. When it’s time to throw it out and let go of something that’s served you so well. I am of course talking about my TOZAj brand alarm clock. I’ve had my alarm clock since I was twelve or thirteen years old. I know I was in middle school and the factory sticker with a date on it reads ‘Oct 1996’. Many a school mornings it got me up. It got me up through my first real job and other times I needed to set the alarm. It’s survived many power outages, falls and a few moves over the years just hanging in there like a trooper working better than any other clock I’ve owned.

Just a few days ago, we had a small power outage in the area due to some storms. Fortunately the particular part of West Michigan I live usually doesn’t go too long under a power outage. However it was when the power came back on, I went to re-set my clock. In mid adjusting the hour on it, it just stopped working. It wouldn’t change any further. Although I could still change the minute portion of the clock, the button to press to change the hour did nothing. I even tried unplugging it for a while and plugging it back in. Sadly after roughly fifteen/sixteen years of ownership of the same alarm clock that has worked so brilliantly for me all this time, I have to get rid of it. Guess this means I need to put it in the budget for a new alarm clock and venture out to make such a purchase as soon as I can.

Maybe it’s strange to feel the slightest bit sentimental over an alarm clock. Quite frankly, I never thought I would. Despite all the times I went with a friend or family member to help them pick a new one out over the years, where I felt thankful mine still worked. However, now that I’m in this position of my clock no longer working right I find myself actually a little saddened. I can’t really complain though, after all this clock did last me quite a long time. Probably making it more than worth whatever it had cost when it was purchased in the first place. I know the clear design (so you can see the insides) is pretty dated as far as trends go, but I loved the clock. It was reliable, even if I did have tendency to turn off the alarm and snooze an extra few minutes more than actually getting right up.

--XOXO, Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment